Saturday, June 22, 2013

Question #10 from the interview of my life

10) How did you come up with the name Alexis A?

I’m not really sure.  That is actually a very good question.  I had been researching a name change and what the legal requirements were. At that time, which I believe was 2002, I had discovered that in Iowa, it was simply a matter of paying a $100 fee and filing the papers, and then waiting 30 days to see if anyone filed an objection. As it was about a month before my birthday, I decided to file the paperwork at the courthouse and have the name change become effective on my birthday. So I sat down in the office one afternoon and thought over the names of the young women I most admired at that time, and put the name together.  In reality my new name is a compilation of a nickname I have been using my entire life (which was given to me by one of my grandmothers) and the names of those two women, and then my last name.  I then went down to the courthouse that afternoon and filed the paperwork. 30 days later I had a new name for a birthday present to myself. However, when I applied for an ‘amended birth certificate’ all I received was a copy of my original birth certificate with a typed notation at the top that explained the name change----not what I wanted. So I had actually changed my name over a year before I actually transitioned, and well before I even knew I would do it. I am not sure why I  decided to change the name at the time I did, unless it was a subconscious understanding that my time to transition was indeed coming close.  I have pretty much stopped using the nickname at all, preferring to simply go by Alexis, although I have no problem with Alexis Michelle.  I am not a fan of short versions some people like to use, like Lexi for example.  I’m sorry, just refer to people by the name they wish to be known by…..and forget trying to be cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment