Sunday, July 28, 2013

Question #14 From THE INTERVIEW

HMMM, IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I POSTED A SEGMENT....

*********************************************************************************

14) I know you do not have any children but that you used to be a foster parent. If you were a foster parent today, what would you say to your foster child if she/he would ask why did you do the change?

Basically what I would say to anyone who wanted to sit down and ask about my experiences….. I have always been fairly open with everyone about this matter.  Certainly I would tailor my response and explanations to the audience, but no subject would really be off limits.  From my perspective, younger people are quite capable of coming to an understanding of the struggles I overcame.  I am certainly not ashamed of what I did, and welcome the opportunity to work on educating people about my experiences as a the transsexual, regardless of the age of the persons. I would simply try to have an open discussion with that foster child, much as I am with you, and try to explain why I felt it was the best thing for me to do.  In many ways, I firmly believe that younger people are generally much more accepting and nonjudgemental of differences and individuality than the older generations are.
 
However, the problem with me currently becoming a foster parent, which I tried to accomplish again a couple years back, is actually getting an agency to place a child with you………at least in this state. I went through the foster care training program, passed the inspections, and was actually issued a license by the state. However, the state does not place foster children in this state….. Month after month after month went by and there was no serious request to place anyone with me. I might receive a call and by the time I could return the call, I was informed they already had found another foster home. This was really frustrating, as I heard advertisement after advertisement talking about the need for foster parents in this state. I was never given a reason as to why there were no placements, but I‘ll leave you to draw your own conclusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment