Monday, May 27, 2013

A Duet With Elvis

NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS STORY      (click to open link)

.....................but I like about anything Elvis..........


Elvis tells the story behind as well as sings the lyrics of the song, "Softly as I leave You". The man singing in the background is Elvis` tenor singer, Sherrill (Shaun)Nielsen. In 1977, Elvis' and Sherrill's duet of "Softly As I Leave You" was nominated for a Grammy as duet of the year.

This is truly a very sad but beautiful story sung as it should be which is, in my opinion, the best rendition and which is done by Elvis.This song and "Memories" are his most beautiful and underrated songs.

This video is a composite of three other videos found on Youtube, 2 of which are of Elvis and one with excerpts from a video of the movie, "The Notebook". I edited & spliced the 3 videos and added the lyrics. The still photos where captured from "The Notebook" video used in this video. I tried to capture the idea of a woman who misses her husband and still trying to hold back the tears as she recounts memories, even after many decades. The images of the man rowing away( figuratively crossing over the River Styx) are what her husband sees and the sadness & loneliness he feels as he passes away. The white birds flying away at the end signal his departure and guide his spirit once he reached the 'Other Side'. These were the images I saw as I imagined him as he passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment