Saturday, May 11, 2013

Question #4 from The Interview of My Life



                                                           (note: since the interview I have retired)
4) Since you work for a Government contractor, how did your manager, supervisor and co-workers relate to you?

I had already transitioned and had been living as a female for almost a year before I applied for employment where I work now, so the company knew what they were hiring. I had been referred to this company by one of the people who knew me prior to my transition and was working there, simply for the reason that discrimination of the basis of gender identity was not allowed on this government contract.  She was confident that I would get a fair shot at gaining employment, which was not something I felt when I had previously applied elsewhere.  In retrospect, I would have to say that my managers and supervisors at work have stood by me, supported me, and allowed me the opportunity to grow and develop into who I am today.  I am fairly certain that I was thoroughly discussed before the job offer was even extended to me, which I can understand.  I was going to be most likely be their first transgender employee.  When I began work there I was not necessarily welcomed with open arms, though I was accepted. Initially there were few people who would even talk with me, preferring instead to watch and see how I presented myself. I understand, because I was new…..I was different.  You know, it was almost 6 months before I would even eat lunch in the lunchroom with the other employees, preferring instead to go to my vehicle and eat there.   And there were some individuals who tried to make issues out of such things as my usage of the female restrooms, but the management and human resources department held firm, and as time went on I gradually began to become increasingly more accepted as who I am, and I have to say that my past has never been a problem for me in any way. By the time I was ready to undergo the sex reassignment surgery (SRS), I had a lot of support from other employees there. And it has continued to grow from there…..and interestingly enough, some of the people who originally raised the restroom issue became much more receptive to me once I had the SRS surgery….  I think a lot of the initial reactions from others were simply due to the novelty of my situation.  I am well aware that for many people, I am the first transgender individual they have any experience with.  And it is for that reason that I have continually made the conscious effort to try and present a positive image, so that others like myself, in the future, will find their transitioning process easier.  The impressions people form of me will make a difference in the future.

Looking back over the last six and a half years I have been working there, it would really be hard for me to have chosen a better employer.  Actually, I really would have a hard time finding a more accepting area of the country in which to transition.  The combination of the workplace environment and the community itself has given me the opportunity to grow and develop in a comfortable and accepting atmosphere.  In my public ventures I do not often have any fear for my safety or well being.  At work, I have been able to move up through the ranks over the years based on merit itself, and I now hold the position of Supervisor and oversee a team of approximately 20 individuals. These days there is actually little discussion or concern about the fact that I am transsexual/transgender. I have become a fixture and I don’t draw the attention that I did in the past.

I attribute a lot of my success there, and in my new life, to the simple fact that I have been fairly open and honest about my past and how I got where I was.  This level of openness  surprises a lot of people.  And I the long run I have no doubt that this has been a positive thing for me.  I am telling you now nothing that I wouldn’t tell anyone who wanted to take the effort, and spend the time, talking with me about my life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment