Saturday, August 31, 2013

Question #17 From The Interview

((sorry, with all the health issues and stuff I have gotten away from posting parts of the interview on my struggles with transitioning.  Here we go with question 17--alexis))

17) How were the doctors that took care of you? Did they try to talk you out of it?


My doctors have all been able to accept my decision. I am certain that some were skeptical of the idea when they first received one of those 250 information letters prior to my initial transition from living as a male to living full-time as a female.  And, as I mentioned earlier, I was able to get several letters of support for my decision to have the surgery from various physicians to present to my SRS surgeon.  I think that my doctors, like many others, are interacting with a transgender person for the first time in their lives, and are learning from it.  One doctor had known about my situation previously, and had prescribed a low dosage of estrogen, but when I sought additional and higher dosages, he was not willing to do that, and so I then had to find a doctor who would do that. I was referred to a certain gynecologist by a friend at work (your mother, actually, Amber), and I was able to work well with this new physician. Ironically, this choice of doctors has been very beneficial, as I now actually have a need to see a gynecologist from time to time. None of my doctors have ever tried to talk me out of it, and I believe that they have been able to see that I am quite comfortable in my new gender, and sex.

While we are on the subject of doctors, let’s talk about a few other things.  When I go to see one of my doctors, they have to decide how to have any tests analyzed, particularly the sex-specific tests.  For example, though I have had the surgery, I still have the same lungs, so when I go in for pulmonary function tests, they still need to be analyzed buy the computer as if I were still a male.  If the test is run with me listed as a female, the results look so much better, but not realistic.  I also think it’s going to be interesting if I ever develop prostate problems, as I am sure the computer at the insurance company will reject the claim simply because women do not have prostates (or at least not many).  There are also some gynecological tests that I do not need, or require as often, simply because the current SRS capabilities do not allow the successful transplantation of the female sexual reproductive organs into another person-----which I regret so much.  I would love to be able to have those dreaded monthly periods, and to get pregnant, but that’s another story in itself.  I know a lot of girls will say I am crazy for wanting the periods, but for myself, and others like me………………we truly want to be able to be 100% female---in all ways.  It has been a wish and hope we have held for so many years, and currently all we can do is come close, but not quite be what we truly aspire to achieve.  Though I have had the operation, in some respects I still can not escape my male past………………which I can understand, but still consider unfortunate.  But, on the other hand, where I am now is a major improvement on where I was even say 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment